Monday, April 20, 2015

My Fair Lady: Movie Review + MSPDP Nationals



Before I do anything else, I would like to congratulate +Ria Pradhan +Esha Deokar +Shreya wêya +Pippa Hemmings and Ayush Gupta (can someone tag him?) on their achievements at the MSPDP Nationals this past weekend. You guys did amazing! I'm so glad I had the chance to debate on a team with all of you, and thank you for an amazing experience. Thank you also for all the time +Nayan Naik +Nidhi Kumar Kalra +Purvi Hazari-Naik put in to help us succeed. And of course, no one can forget Mrs. Toutem, the best teacher, mentor, friend, and debate coach we could possibly have.

Okay. Now here's what I really wanted to write about. I wanted to do something different this time. First of all, I'm going to write for you a movie review. Secondly, I'm not going to review a new movie, but an old one. My family chose to drive to Pasadena (for the Nationals) rather than fly, so it was basically six hours of eternal boredom for me. I decided to watch a movie. I was looking through the movies we had, and I found one called My Fair Lady. I thought I'd give it a try, and as it turns out, I don't regret it.

My Fair Lady
Reviewed by Riya Kalra

My Fair Lady (1964), directed by George Cukor, is about an arrogant phonetics expert, Dr. Henry Higgins (Rex Harrison), who sees a poor flower girl with a heavy Cockney accent, Eliza Doolittle (Audrey Hepburn), selling flowers on the streets and makes a bet with a new acquaintance, Colonel Hugh Pickering (Wilfrid Hyde-White), that Dr. Higgins will be able to pass the girl off as a duchess just by teaching her how to speak like one. The movie is about Eliza's struggles with learning how to be a graceful, polite woman in society and dealing with Dr. Higgins's conceited nature. She learns how to find her way independently and lives a happy life.

I loved Audrey Hepburn's performance in this movie; of course, we all know her as the epitome of timeless beauty and effortless grace. She portrays the character of Eliza in such a comical and perfect way, from her awkward ways to her hilarious accent. Hepburn makes watching Eliza transform from a flower seller on the streets into a respectable lady so much fun!

The movie won eight Oscars, three Golden Globes, and other awards. I haven't seen the version with Julie Andrews as the lead, but I can say that this movie is worth a try.

My Fair Lady leaves the viewer with a sense of contentment, compassion, and adoration for Eliza. This movie might be fun to watch as a family, but it's just as great by yourself.


Comment below to let me know how you liked my review and if you'd like to see more. Please suggest any movies if you'd like me to review them. DFTBA!




No comments:

Post a Comment