Wednesday, January 7, 2015

I ♥ Languages!

I love languages. I don't know why. I love learning about words and their histories. Somehow, I seem to be able to pick up languages very easily, but total immersion is hard unless you live in the right countries/regions. Living in the U.S., there are so many cultures around you, and so many opportunities. I feel that learning a language enables you to connect with people on their personal level, and it makes them feel special and respected, maybe even honored. The fact that you took the time to master something composed of tens of thousands of words, sounds, and vagaries different from what you are used to can mean a lot to people. There is also proof that learning languages has a positive impact on your brain. "Millions of people around the world acquire their second language later in life. Our study shows that bilingualism, even when acquired in adulthood, may benefit the ageing brain," says Dr Thomas Bak of the University of Edinburgh. The study is detailed here:

Here's another link to check out: http://www.pnas.org/content/105/10/4004.full

I am currently fluent in English, Hindi, and Spanish, and I am learning French, Italian, and Chinese. I just started Italian and Chinese, so I'm not very good at them.

Also, in my previous post, I was a little pessimistic about my trip to Virginia, so I just wanted to say that it was an amazing trip. My whole family had so much fun, especially after visiting Virginia after eight years. Thank you to my family in Virginia for making our time there so enjoyable and for taking care of us so well, sick or not. We all love you so much!

And finally, I sign off with a Chuck and Beans comic.


No comments:

Post a Comment